These tips will prepare you for a great experience at the New Orleans Student Government Training Conference.
1. Raise money for conference
2. Register for conference
- See conference registration tips to help you save money
- See sample “excuse letter” that your attendees can give to professors so they can miss class to attend this conference (optional)
- See sample delegate contract that each of your attendees should sign (optional)
- See conference attendance form that each of your attendees should sign and have signed by an ASGA representative (optional)
- See sample press release that you can send to your campus and local newspapers, radio, and TV, as well as your institution’s public affairs office (optional)
3. Reserve hotel room(s)
Book your hotel rooms early, as they will be in short supply because of the NBA All-Star game in New Orleans the same weekend. ASGA has a block of rooms, but once they’re sold out, there will be no more rooms in the New Orleans area available!
4. Purchase Airline Tickets
If you fly into Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, you will be about one mile from the conference location.
5. Arrange for ground transportation
The conference hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport. But you will need transportation to go site-seeing in New Orleans, which is about 13 miles from the hotel. If you stay at another hotel, you will need a rental car, taxi, or Uber to get you to and from the conference location, airport, and sightseeing.
To go to the New Orleans French Quarter area, the hotel recommends James and James Transportation at 504-371-8920. The fees start at $30 round-trip per person from the conference hotel to the French Quarter. Please call in advance to make your reservation. You can pay by cash or credit.
You also can take a taxi for $36.00 one way from the airport to the French Quarter for one or two persons and $15.00 (per passenger) for three or more passengers. Pick-up is on the lower level, outside the baggage claim area. There may be an additional charge for extra baggage. There is a $1 fuel surcharge added to total fare.
Uber may be a cheaper alternative.
An airport shuttle is available to the French Quarter for about $24 per person ($44 per person roundtrip).
There will be a $12.00 per night charge for parking (self parking) at the Hilton New Orleans Airport.
7. Review and print directions
Here are Directions to the conference.
8. Wear “business casual”
Your attire should be “business casual” at all conference functions.
9. Get the ASGA Conferences App
Grab the ASGA Conferences App for your iOS or Android device, and have the conference schedule, speaker information, directions, ASGA contact information, and more at your fingertips before and during the conference.
10. Bring business cards & college paraphernalia
Make sure you bring business cards, brochures, and fliers to exchange with other delegates.
11. Check the local weather
Even in February, it’s still in the 60s and 70s in New Orleans, so you should plan to bring some warm-weather clothes for your free-time.
12. Review and print the Conference Schedule
Then you can decide on which workshops to attend and be aware of when the conference starts and ends.
13. Read these conference articles
Responsible Student Government leaders and advisors make sure they get as much as possible from the conferences they attend.
- Make the Most of Conventions
How to save money and use your time wisely
Before jetting off to your next conference, scan this checklist of time and money savers.
- Members Behaving Badly
Mind your manners at conferences
Here are some tips on how to make a lasting, positive impression about the quality of your school’s student leaders while at conferences.
- Getting the Most Out of Conferences
Student Government leaders at the University of North Dakota use their “Homework Sheet” as a networking tool
Do you want to get more out of attending your next leadership conference than just jet lag? Follow the example set by Student Government officers from the University of North Dakota.
- Action Plan for When We Return to Campus
SG Advisor at Illinois State develops tool to take the conference momentum back to your campus
This worksheet will help you develop a plan on how to take back what you learned at this ASGA conference.
- 10 Ways to Be a Good Conference Roommate
Even if you’ve known someone for years, staying together in a hotel can be an awkward – or awesome – experience.
Here are 10 suggestions for making your next conference slumber party the awesome kind.